Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them?

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114473

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them??????
Thanks in advance :) :blush:
-- sci_geeek
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114481

  • BookwormJo
  • BookwormJo's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Posts: 2179
  • Thank you received: 274
sci_geeek wrote:
Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them??????
Thanks in advance :) :blush:
-- sci_geeek

Ooh. It all has to do with 2 Kings 17 . . .
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114485

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
First, we're gonna have to travel back to the 9th century B.C. During the reign of Solomon, a servant of his, Jeroboam, was told that he would become king because Solomon started to worship his wives' gods. When Rehoboam, Solomon's son, came to the throne, he made the people of Israel suffer so bad that they favored Jeroboam more than Rehoboam. Of course, seeing this, Rehoboam feared that Jeroboam would take the kingdom from him. So, Rehoboam ordered that Jeroboam be captured. Jeroboam fled, and soon after, Israel split. Ten tribes plus half of Levi made Jeroboam their king; and Benjamin, Judah, and the other half stayed with David's descendants. The ten and a half tribes became Israel or the Northern Kingdom, and the rest became Judah or the Southern Kingdom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114496

  • KristytheCorgi
  • KristytheCorgi's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Don't call me princess. That's reserved for my dad
  • Posts: 842
  • Thank you received: 95
I dunno. Maybe because they were different.
sup bro... PEACE OUT!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114519

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
First, we're gonna have to travel back to the 9th century B.C. During the reign of Solomon, a servant of his, Jeroboam, was told that he would become king because Solomon started to worship his wives' gods. When Rehoboam, Solomon's son, came to the throne, he made the people of Israel suffer so bad that they favored Jeroboam more than Rehoboam. Of course, seeing this, Rehoboam feared that Jeroboam would take the kingdom from him. So, Rehoboam ordered that Jeroboam be captured. Jeroboam fled, and soon after, Israel split. Ten tribes plus half of Levi made Jeroboam their king; and Benjamin, Judah, and the other half stayed with David's descendants. The ten and a half tribes became Israel or the Northern Kingdom, and the rest became Judah or the Southern Kingdom.
That's the beginning
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114543

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
First, we're gonna have to travel back to the 9th century B.C. During the reign of Solomon, a servant of his, Jeroboam, was told that he would become king because Solomon started to worship his wives' gods. When Rehoboam, Solomon's son, came to the throne, he made the people of Israel suffer so bad that they favored Jeroboam more than Rehoboam. Of course, seeing this, Rehoboam feared that Jeroboam would take the kingdom from him. So, Rehoboam ordered that Jeroboam be captured. Jeroboam fled, and soon after, Israel split. Ten tribes plus half of Levi made Jeroboam their king; and Benjamin, Judah, and the other half stayed with David's descendants. The ten and a half tribes became Israel or the Northern Kingdom, and the rest became Judah or the Southern Kingdom.

Fascinating. What else?
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114609

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Now, let's go to 721 B.C.; in Israel, Hoshea is king-- but not for long. The Assyrian army attack Israel, conquer it, and take its people. Now, here's something you should know about the Assyrians. They had been conquering a lot of nations before they took Israel. So, they actually had a lot of people from other nations as subordinates. They would also adopt various forms of intelligence from their captives, such as mathematics, architecture, science, and even battle stratagems. Once a nation was conquered, they'd leave their captives to recolonize the area. They'd also leave some of the people of the conquered nation to learn from the Assyrian colonists. These people were free, but a revolt was utterly futile. Also, foreigners were allowed to reside in these new Assyrian colonies. When they took Israel, they left people from all over the Assyrian world with some Israelites to repopulate the area. Over the course of months and then years, a large influx of foreigners flocked to the now destroyed Israelite kingdom, which they called Samaria. "But why Samaria?", you may ask. Samaria became the capital of the Northern kingdom when Ahab was king. His palace was actually in Samaria. Also, the Israelites in Samaria intermarried with the pagan foreigners. That is why they were referred to as "Gentiles" and "half-breeds."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114700

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Now, let's go to 721 B.C.; in Israel, Hoshea is king-- but not for long. The Assyrian army attack Israel, conquer it, and take its people. Now, here's something you should know about the Assyrians. They had been conquering a lot of nations before they took Israel. So, they actually had a lot of people from other nations as subordinates. They would also adopt various forms of intelligence from their captives, such as mathematics, architecture, science, and even battle stratagems. Once a nation was conquered, they'd leave their captives to recolonize the area. They'd also leave some of the people of the conquered nation to learn from the Assyrian colonists. These people were free, but a revolt was utterly futile. Also, foreigners were allowed to reside in these new Assyrian colonies. When they took Israel, they left people from all over the Assyrian world with some Israelites to repopulate the area. Over the course of months and then years, a large influx of foreigners flocked to the now destroyed Israelite kingdom, which they called Samaria. "But why Samaria?", you may ask. Samaria became the capital of the Northern kingdom when Ahab was king. His palace was actually in Samaria. Also, the Israelites in Samaria intermarried with the pagan foreigners. That is why they were referred to as "Gentiles" and "half-breeds."
Ahhh. Is that all?
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 1 year 1 week ago #114734

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
sci_geeek wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Now, let's go to 721 B.C.; in Israel, Hoshea is king-- but not for long. The Assyrian army attack Israel, conquer it, and take its people. Now, here's something you should know about the Assyrians. They had been conquering a lot of nations before they took Israel. So, they actually had a lot of people from other nations as subordinates. They would also adopt various forms of intelligence from their captives, such as mathematics, architecture, science, and even battle stratagems. Once a nation was conquered, they'd leave their captives to recolonize the area. They'd also leave some of the people of the conquered nation to learn from the Assyrian colonists. These people were free, but a revolt was utterly futile. Also, foreigners were allowed to reside in these new Assyrian colonies. When they took Israel, they left people from all over the Assyrian world with some Israelites to repopulate the area. Over the course of months and then years, a large influx of foreigners flocked to the now destroyed Israelite kingdom, which they called Samaria. "But why Samaria?", you may ask. Samaria became the capital of the Northern kingdom when Ahab was king. His palace was actually in Samaria. Also, the Israelites in Samaria intermarried with the pagan foreigners. That is why they were referred to as "Gentiles" and "half-breeds."
Ahhh. Is that all?
I have to cover the Southern Kingdom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 11 months 3 weeks ago #115718

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Now, let's go to 721 B.C.; in Israel, Hoshea is king-- but not for long. The Assyrian army attack Israel, conquer it, and take its people. Now, here's something you should know about the Assyrians. They had been conquering a lot of nations before they took Israel. So, they actually had a lot of people from other nations as subordinates. They would also adopt various forms of intelligence from their captives, such as mathematics, architecture, science, and even battle stratagems. Once a nation was conquered, they'd leave their captives to recolonize the area. They'd also leave some of the people of the conquered nation to learn from the Assyrian colonists. These people were free, but a revolt was utterly futile. Also, foreigners were allowed to reside in these new Assyrian colonies. When they took Israel, they left people from all over the Assyrian world with some Israelites to repopulate the area. Over the course of months and then years, a large influx of foreigners flocked to the now destroyed Israelite kingdom, which they called Samaria. "But why Samaria?", you may ask. Samaria became the capital of the Northern kingdom when Ahab was king. His palace was actually in Samaria. Also, the Israelites in Samaria intermarried with the pagan foreigners. That is why they were referred to as "Gentiles" and "half-breeds."
Ahhh. Is that all?
I have to cover the Southern Kingdom.
What about it, then?
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 11 months 3 weeks ago #115769

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
About a century later, King Nebuchadnezzar attacked the Southern Kingdom, after the Assyrian army tried to conquer Judah during the reign of King Hezekiah and failed. Nebuchadnezzar launched three attacks: one in 603 B.C., the next in 600 B.C., and the final and successful in 598 B.C. During his conquest, Nebuchadnezzar placed three puppet kings: Jehoakim, Jehoachin, and Zedekiah. The first two rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar, and as a result, they were executed. As prophesied by Jeremiah, the city was burned, including the grandiose temple Solomon constructed (but Jeremiah hid the Ark of the Covenant...no one knows where). The Jews (literally) were exiled into Babylon, where, according to Jeremiah's prophecy, they would stay for 70 years. Once the time had expired, they would return to their homeland.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 11 months 2 weeks ago #115788

  • KristytheCorgi
  • KristytheCorgi's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Don't call me princess. That's reserved for my dad
  • Posts: 842
  • Thank you received: 95
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
About a century later, King Nebuchadnezzar attacked the Southern Kingdom, after the Assyrian army tried to conquer Judah during the reign of King Hezekiah and failed. Nebuchadnezzar launched three attacks: one in 603 B.C., the next in 600 B.C., and the final and successful in 598 B.C. During his conquest, Nebuchadnezzar placed three puppet kings: Jehoakim, Jehoachin, and Zedekiah. The first two rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar, and as a result, they were executed. As prophesied by Jeremiah, the city was burned, including the grandiose temple Solomon constructed (but Jeremiah hid the Ark of the Covenant...no one knows where). The Jews (literally) were exiled into Babylon, where, according to Jeremiah's prophecy, they would stay for 70 years. Once the time had expired, they would return to their homeland.
huh. Interesting.
sup bro... PEACE OUT!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 10 months 1 week ago #117874

  • Lightness
  • Lightness's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Atheist. Independent French music(some) are cool.
  • Posts: 2518
  • Thank you received: 60
KristytheCorgi wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
About a century later, King Nebuchadnezzar attacked the Southern Kingdom, after the Assyrian army tried to conquer Judah during the reign of King Hezekiah and failed. Nebuchadnezzar launched three attacks: one in 603 B.C., the next in 600 B.C., and the final and successful in 598 B.C. During his conquest, Nebuchadnezzar placed three puppet kings: Jehoakim, Jehoachin, and Zedekiah. The first two rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar, and as a result, they were executed. As prophesied by Jeremiah, the city was burned, including the grandiose temple Solomon constructed (but Jeremiah hid the Ark of the Covenant...no one knows where). The Jews (literally) were exiled into Babylon, where, according to Jeremiah's prophecy, they would stay for 70 years. Once the time had expired, they would return to their homeland.
huh. Interesting.
you seem a bit doubtful imo


Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

DM me in discord: Lightness#8110

Osu! account: osu.ppy.sh/users/29681606
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #128923

I looked this up with my parents and this is what I found out.
After Solomon died, the United Monarchy split into Israel (aka Samaria/Northern Kingdom) and Judah. Because of Jeroboam, the first king, every Northern Kingdom king worshipped idols and other Canaanite gods, like Baal. These are mentioned in the bible as "the way of Jeroboam." God sent prophets like Elijah, Elisha, Iddo, Ahijah, and Amos, but they still worshipped other gods, so God allowed the kingdom to be destroyed by Assyria.

The Samaritans (who today are a very tiny community in Modern Israel) are descended from the Northern Israelites who weren't taken into exile after the Assyrians captured Samaria. Many moved south to Judah, and stayed there after God allowed Nebuchadnezzar to conquer Jerusalem. After Cyrus conquered Babylon, he allowed exiles to go back to their homelands. Two of of those exiles were Ezra and Nehemiah, who separated the descendants of Judah that returned from exile from the local Samaritans that never left and said they were foreigners that would lead them back into sin.10 Ezra forced Jewish men to divorce their Samaritan wives, and Nehemiah did this again with priests who had married Samaritan women, which they both thought was the right thing.

One of the biggest things they disagreed on was where to worship. The Samaritans have their own temple and their own holy mountain. The place they worship is called Mount Gerizim, in Shechem, instead of Mount Zion in Jerusalem. Mount Gerizim was blessed by Moses, and according to their version of the Books of Moses, he commanded the Israelites to build an altar there. In our Bibles, Moses said to build the altar on Mount Ebal. According to Joshua, there might have been a sanctuary there too. So the Samaritans kept worshipping there, instead of at Jerusalem, where Jews worshipped at the Second Temple. Their temple was built shortly after the Second Temple in Jerusalem, but the Jews destroyed it almost 100 years before the time of Jesus because their High Priest told them to.

It's really sad the way they were treated. In John 4:21, the Samaritan asks Jesus if she should worship in Jerusalem or in Shechem. Jesus told her it didn't matter because God cares more about how we worship than where.
"I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation, anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."
Acts 10:34-35
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoyBaker

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #128928

  • JoyBaker
  • JoyBaker's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Psalm 145:3
  • Posts: 2304
  • Thank you received: 232
Heyyyyyyy! :woohoo: :cheer:
God calls me friend! Welcome back!!! :) Glad to see ya here again!

Btw really interesting post about the Samaritans.

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Psalm 145:3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #128935

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
God calls me friend wrote:
I looked this up with my parents and this is what I found out.
After Solomon died, the United Monarchy split into Israel (aka Samaria/Northern Kingdom) and Judah. Because of Jeroboam, the first king, every Northern Kingdom king worshipped idols and other Canaanite gods, like Baal. These are mentioned in the bible as "the way of Jeroboam." God sent prophets like Elijah, Elisha, Iddo, Ahijah, and Amos, but they still worshipped other gods, so God allowed the kingdom to be destroyed by Assyria.

The Samaritans (who today are a very tiny community in Modern Israel) are descended from the Northern Israelites who weren't taken into exile after the Assyrians captured Samaria. Many moved south to Judah, and stayed there after God allowed Nebuchadnezzar to conquer Jerusalem. After Cyrus conquered Babylon, he allowed exiles to go back to their homelands. Two of of those exiles were Ezra and Nehemiah, who separated the descendants of Judah that returned from exile from the local Samaritans that never left and said they were foreigners that would lead them back into sin.10 Ezra forced Jewish men to divorce their Samaritan wives, and Nehemiah did this again with priests who had married Samaritan women, which they both thought was the right thing.

One of the biggest things they disagreed on was where to worship. The Samaritans have their own temple and their own holy mountain. The place they worship is called Mount Gerizim, in Shechem, instead of Mount Zion in Jerusalem. Mount Gerizim was blessed by Moses, and according to their version of the Books of Moses, he commanded the Israelites to build an altar there. In our Bibles, Moses said to build the altar on Mount Ebal. According to Joshua, there might have been a sanctuary there too. So the Samaritans kept worshipping there, instead of at Jerusalem, where Jews worshipped at the Second Temple. Their temple was built shortly after the Second Temple in Jerusalem, but the Jews destroyed it almost 100 years before the time of Jesus because their High Priest told them to.

It's really sad the way they were treated. In John 4:21, the Samaritan asks Jesus if she should worship in Jerusalem or in Shechem. Jesus told her it didn't matter because God cares more about how we worship than where.

That's basically it. But Samaritans were the results of Israelites and Jews intermarrying with pagan nations because of the Assyrian conquest. After the Assyrians conquered a nation, they would leave captives from previous conquests and some people of that nation to rebuild the city under their power, thus aggrandizing their nation. That is why Jews called Samaritans "interbreeds" and "Gentile dogs".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #128978

JoyBaker wrote:
Heyyyyyyy! :woohoo: :cheer:
God calls me friend! Welcome back!!! :) Glad to see ya here again!

Btw really interesting post about the Samaritans.

School is keeping me busy :pinch:
"I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation, anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."
Acts 10:34-35
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #128995

  • JoyBaker
  • JoyBaker's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Psalm 145:3
  • Posts: 2304
  • Thank you received: 232
God calls me friend wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Heyyyyyyy! :woohoo: :cheer:
God calls me friend! Welcome back!!! :) Glad to see ya here again!

Btw really interesting post about the Samaritans.

School is keeping me busy :pinch:
Oof.

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Psalm 145:3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #129001

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
God calls me friend wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Heyyyyyyy! :woohoo: :cheer:
God calls me friend! Welcome back!!! :) Glad to see ya here again!

Btw really interesting post about the Samaritans.

School is keeping me busy :pinch:
Oof
At least ur alive and well lol
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #129014

  • Chelsea F.
  • Chelsea F.'s Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love reading, writing, and singing. =)
  • Posts: 878
  • Thank you received: 58
God calls me friend wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Heyyyyyyy! :woohoo: :cheer:
God calls me friend! Welcome back!!! :) Glad to see ya here again!

Btw really interesting post about the Samaritans.

School is keeping me busy :pinch:
Same
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who were the Samaritans and why did the Jews hate them? 3 months 2 weeks ago #129028

God calls me friend wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Heyyyyyyy! :woohoo: :cheer:
God calls me friend! Welcome back!!! :) Glad to see ya here again!

Btw really interesting post about the Samaritans.

School is keeping me busy :pinch:
Yay!!!! another 6th grader like meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
all the other peeps are somewhat older than me (no offense), so it's really nice to met someone that's very close to my age
anyway, yeah, same here
what do i type here?



#minecraftiscool

#datcoolboi

Katz are kool (like Khriz)

( ̄_, ̄ )
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
______________________________________________________
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds