Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bible verses you wouldn't expect

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 2 days ago #106410

• emmykitty
  • :)
  • Thank you received: 687
@Khriz, Yep, they are indeed quite modern! Actually, I recently read through the Bible in 100 days with the NLT version; I like it for when I'm reading the Bible as a story. When I'm reading the Bible for in-depth studying, I like to use the NKJV. When I'm journalling, I use NLT, NIV, NKJV, and The Clear Word so I can see how different the verses are. I think that reading the Bible in different versions can help you discover new meanings that you haven't thought about before.
.•♫•♬•Love is friendship set to music.•♫•♬•
#MAINEMMYS
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 2 days ago #106425

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Thank you received: 430
emmykitty wrote:
@Khriz, Yep, they are indeed quite modern! Actually, I recently read through the Bible in 100 days with the NLT version; I like it for when I'm reading the Bible as a story. When I'm reading the Bible for in-depth studying, I like to use the NKJV. When I'm journalling, I use NLT, NIV, NKJV, and The Clear Word so I can see how different the verses are. I think that reading the Bible in different versions can help you discover new meanings that you haven't thought about before.
I prefer ancient versions. That way I get a clearer understanding of what is being said and what the culture was like.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 2 days ago #106462

• JoyBaker
  • Psalm 145:3
  • Thank you received: 149
emmykitty wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Hey Guidesters! Let's share verses that we wouldn't expect to find in the Bible!
Here's one - Proverbs 25: 16
Search it up...and then share other verses!
-- sci_geeek
Psalms 37:13: The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.
Psalms 2:4: but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Psalms 59:8: But you laugh at them, Lord; you scoff at all those nations.
Proverbs 1:26: I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—

You may wonder if God is a God who delights in destruction by these verses. These verses will cause you confusion.
Another verse to add to that list would be Deuteronomy 28:63:
"Just as the Lord has found great pleasure in causing you to prosper and multiply, the Lord will find pleasure in destroying you. You will be torn from the land you are about to enter and occupy." [NLT]
Wow. I think that is if they don’t obey. Right?

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Psalm 145:3

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 1 day ago #106474

• BookwormJo
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Thank you received: 220
emmykitty wrote:
One verse that I find kind of funny is Hosea 4:11b-12a:
"Wine has robbed my people of their understanding. They ask a piece of wood for advice! They think a stick can tell them the future!" [NLT]

It's not as funny in the other versions, though. Another verse that I found to be humorous is Jonah 4:7a:
"But God also arranged for a worm!" [NLT] \\ "But as the morning dawned the next day God prepared a worm..." [NKJV] \\ "But then God sent a worm." [MSG]

The NLT version caught my eye first, and the NKJV and MSG versions of it are also entertaining. Next up is 2 Kings 10:27:
"They smashed the sacred pillar and wrecked the temple of Baal, converting it into a public toilet." [NLT] \\ "They smashed the Baal altars and tore down the Baal temple. It’s been a public toilet ever since." [MSG]

I guess that tells you what they thought of Baal. The next one is Proverbs 18:18:
"Flipping a coin can end arguments; it settles disputes between powerful opponents." [NLT]

One of my classmates is known for flipping a coin to make decisions, so that verse reminded me of him. I was quite surprised to find it in the Bible! Now that I'm picking up his method of decision making, I'm glad to know that there's a Biblical backing behind it. Lastly, the verses that I originally thought of when making this reply are Job 6:6-7:
"Don’t people complain about unsalted food? Does anyone want the tasteless white of an egg? My appetite disappears when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it!" [NLT]

I think in other versions, it says "mallow plant" instead of "egg." Anyway, that was my list of unexpected (mainly humorous) verses in the Bible; I do have more but I decided to stop here for now :lol:
I love MSG. It reminds me of salt.
No one who trusts in God will ever be disappointed.
Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Proverbs 3:5 MSG

#yayparagraphcontests
#talentshowcasewriters

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 1 day ago #106495

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:
"Wine has robbed my people of their understanding. They ask a piece of wood for advice! They think a stick can tell them the future!" [NLT]

It's not as funny in the other versions, though. Another verse that I found to be humorous is Jonah 4:7a:
"But God also arranged for a worm!" [NLT] \\ "But as the morning dawned the next day God prepared a worm..." [NKJV] \\ "But then God sent a worm." [MSG]

The NLT version caught my eye first, and the NKJV and MSG versions of it are also entertaining. Next up is 2 Kings 10:27:
"They smashed the sacred pillar and wrecked the temple of Baal, converting it into a public toilet." [NLT] \\ "They smashed the Baal altars and tore down the Baal temple. It’s been a public toilet ever since." [MSG]

I guess that tells you what they thought of Baal. The next one is Proverbs 18:18:
"Flipping a coin can end arguments; it settles disputes between powerful opponents." [NLT]

One of my classmates is known for flipping a coin to make decisions, so that verse reminded me of him. I was quite surprised to find it in the Bible! Now that I'm picking up his method of decision making, I'm glad to know that there's a Biblical backing behind it. Lastly, the verses that I originally thought of when making this reply are Job 6:6-7:
"Don’t people complain about unsalted food? Does anyone want the tasteless white of an egg? My appetite disappears when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it!" [NLT]

I think in other versions, it says "mallow plant" instead of "egg." Anyway, that was my list of unexpected (mainly humorous) verses in the Bible; I do have more but I decided to stop here for now :lol:
MSG is a poison.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 1 day ago #106513

• JoyBaker
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
She means the Message Version. It is shortened to MSG.

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 1 day ago #106525

• BookwormJo
  • I'm indescribable.
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
I was sorta joking. :P
I love MSG (the bible version.) It's (name) reminds me of salt.
Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Proverbs 3:5 MSG

#yayparagraphcontests
#talentshowcasewriters

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 1 day ago #106527

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
  • Thank you received: 54
JoyBaker wrote:
emmykitty wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Hey Guidesters! Let's share verses that we wouldn't expect to find in the Bible!
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.
Psalms 2:4: but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Proverbs 1:26: I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—

You may wonder if God is a God who delights in destruction by these verses. These verses will cause you confusion.
"Just as the Lord has found great pleasure in causing you to prosper and multiply, the Lord will find pleasure in destroying you. You will be torn from the land you are about to enter and occupy." [NLT]
Wait does that mean God is saying 'you can choose not to obey me but you will die.'?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

DM me in discord: L̴i̸g̵h̸t̷n̴e̸s̴s̵#0474

Osu! account: osu.ppy.sh/users/29681606

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 1 day ago #106528

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
no u

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 22 hours ago #106553

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
The Massage Version? Sounds relaxing.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 22 hours ago #106554

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
emmykitty wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.

Wait does that mean God is saying 'you can choose not to obey me but you will die.'?
Uh, duh.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 21 hours ago #106582

• BookwormJo
  • I'm indescribable.
I think it's sorta like this.
Your parents make rules to keep you safe. However, if you disobey their rules (say, you run away) they can't protect you anymore.

So as long as you obey God, you're safe. But if you disobey Him, He has to step back and let Satan have you.
Check out this article: reknew.org/2019/03/god-hardens-hearts-wh...2gDqWLV7vVL6lH0YfltA

#yayparagraphcontests
#talentshowcasewriters

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 21 hours ago #106583

• JoyBaker
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
emmykitty wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.

I think so… that choice is no choice

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 10 months 5 hours ago #106600

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
JoyBaker wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
emmykitty wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.

I think so… that choice is no choice
oh rip then

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106621

• JoyBaker
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106662

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106678

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
Oh...

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106694

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 632
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.
Why not lol
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106708

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.
Why not lol
Because so many people do it poorly with a price.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106718

• JoyBaker
I don't like massages.
Me neither.

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106724

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.
Why not lol
boring and a waste of my time.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106754

• JoyBaker
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.
Why not lol
Because so many people do it poorly with a price.
I don’t like massages. Fullstop.

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106788

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
jodiaz wrote:
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.
Why not lol
True :side:

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106837

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
jodiaz wrote:
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
JoyBaker wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
Lol. Message
I don't like massages.
Why not lol
Athletes have entered the chat
Any questions? Ask!

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 9 months 4 weeks ago #106838

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
jodiaz wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
emmykitty wrote:

MSG is a poison.
no u
wait what?!
this actually made me laugh
Any questions? Ask!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds