Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bible verses you wouldn't expect

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 3 weeks ago #105718

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • moderate pluviophile
  • Thank you received: 412
Hey Guidesters! Let's share verses that we wouldn't expect to find in the Bible!
Here's one - Proverbs 25: 16
Search it up...and then share other verses!
-- sci_geeek
melancholic/phlegmatic ~ infp 2w9 ~ rluan
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
old soul and free spirit
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 3 weeks ago #105727

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
  • Thank you received: 55
sci_geeek wrote:
Hey Guidesters! Let's share verses that we wouldn't expect to find in the Bible!
-- sci_geeek
Psalms 37:13: The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.
Psalms 2:4: but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Psalms 59:8: But you laugh at them, Lord; you scoff at all those nations.
Proverbs 1:26: I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—

You may wonder if God is a God who delights in destruction by these verses. These verses will cause you confusion.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

DM me in discord: L̴i̸g̵h̸t̷n̴e̸s̴s̵#0474

Osu! account: osu.ppy.sh/users/29681606

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 3 weeks ago #105741

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Thank you received: 531
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.
Psalms 2:4: but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Proverbs 1:26: I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—

You may wonder if God is a God who delights in destruction by these verses. These verses will cause you confusion.
I already did.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 3 weeks ago #105746

These might be controversial since the health message is a big part of SDA beliefs, but:

“Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.””
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:25-26‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish! Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭31:6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14:2‬ ‭NIV‬‬
(More of a funny one, don't think its literal)

And lastly, not related to food, but I think its worth sharing because verse 9 is unexpectedly violent.

“Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us. Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭137:8-9‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105797

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
endershadow112 wrote:
These might be controversial since the health message is a big part of SDA beliefs, but:

“Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.””

“Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish! Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.”

“One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.”

And lastly, not related to food, but I think its worth sharing because verse 9 is unexpectedly violent.

“Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us. Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.”
*facepalm*
Bruh.
The NIV is a really messed up Bible version.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105805

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 642
endershadow112 wrote:

The first one is a bit interesting, but I’d like to point out that the odds of finding unclean meat in a jewish market was very high. Certain things were shunned because of culture, not necessarily religion.
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105812

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
pathfinder4ever wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

The first one is a bit interesting, but I’d like to point out that the odds of finding unclean meat in a jewish market was very high. Certain things were shunned because of culture, not necessarily religion.
Exactly. If you understand the ancient culture behind these verses, you'll find a deeper and more accurate meaning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoyBaker

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105818

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • moderate pluviophile
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.
Yeah. You heard that most newer versions (including NIV) have even removed some verses? When I was in 3rd grade I had an ICB (International Children's Bible) version, and it didn't have part of the Lord's Prayer. Now I use NKJV, which supposedly has all the verses of the Bible...don't know if it's true, but it's not like I'm going to read the whole Bible just to find that out (tho I would like to do that, just not for that reason...lol).
old soul and free spirit
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by sci_geeek. Reason: adding the adjective "newer"

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105869

pathfinder4ever wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

The verse is from 1 Corinthians, and Corinth was a city in Greece.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105870

Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

I mean the KJV says pretty much the same thing, just less clearly to us since it's not in modern English. You can check the different versions yourself.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105871

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
sci_geeek wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.
Yeah. You heard that most newer versions (including NIV) have even removed some verses? When I was in 3rd grade I had an ICB (International Children's Bible) version, and it didn't have part of the Lord's Prayer. Now I use NKJV, which supposedly has all the verses of the Bible...don't know if it's true, but it's not like I'm going to read the whole Bible just to find that out (tho I would like to do that, just not for that reason...lol).
In any new Bible version(NIV, NASB, NKJV), try finding Mark 16: 9-16.

Haha, joke's on you, cuz you ain't gonna find it.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105971

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

I mean the KJV says pretty much the same thing, just less clearly to us since it's not in modern English. You can check the different versions yourself.
Heh. They're all pretty messed up.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105972

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Also, you can't just go and select a handful of verses to support some belief, you also need to look at the surrounding verses to get an idea of the actual context.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105982

• JoyBaker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Psalm 145:3
  • Thank you received: 160
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Also, you can't just go and select a handful of verses to support some belief, you also need to look at the surrounding verses to get an idea of the actual context.
Exactly!

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Psalm 145:3

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105988

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

It is just supposed be the verses we wouldn't expect ;-;

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #105997

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • moderate pluviophile
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Yessirree! Imagine all the misunderstandings and misinformation that could be avoided if people would just do that!
Also, there's a passage in the Bible (I don't remember where) that Sunday keepers use to "prove" that we don't have to keep the Sabbath. The thing is, the passage makes no mention of the Sabbath or any day of the week. In fact, the passage is about food!
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

What I'm saying is, ppl rly need to check what it's really talking about instead of using it for a totally different subject.
old soul and free spirit

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106004

Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Yeah of course, but the thread asked for unexpected verses, so that's what I shared.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106006

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Yeah of course, but the thread asked for unexpected verses, so that's what I shared.
ik thats the point.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106025

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
jodiaz wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Yeah, ik, just clarifying for future debates. B)

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106026

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Fair enough.

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106368

• emmykitty
  • :)
  • Thank you received: 687
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.

Another verse to add to that list would be Deuteronomy 28:63:
"Just as the Lord has found great pleasure in causing you to prosper and multiply, the Lord will find pleasure in destroying you. You will be torn from the land you are about to enter and occupy." [NLT]
.•♫•♬•Love is friendship set to music.•♫•♬•
#MAINEMMYS

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106369

• emmykitty
  • :)
  • Thank you received: 687
One verse that I find kind of funny is Hosea 4:11b-12a:
"Wine has robbed my people of their understanding. They ask a piece of wood for advice! They think a stick can tell them the future!" [NLT]

It's not as funny in the other versions, though. Another verse that I found to be humorous is Jonah 4:7a:
"But God also arranged for a worm!" [NLT] \\ "But as the morning dawned the next day God prepared a worm..." [NKJV] \\ "But then God sent a worm." [MSG]

The NLT version caught my eye first, and the NKJV and MSG versions of it are also entertaining. Next up is 2 Kings 10:27:
"They smashed the sacred pillar and wrecked the temple of Baal, converting it into a public toilet." [NLT] \\ "They smashed the Baal altars and tore down the Baal temple. It’s been a public toilet ever since." [MSG]

I guess that tells you what they thought of Baal. The next one is Proverbs 18:18:
"Flipping a coin can end arguments; it settles disputes between powerful opponents." [NLT]

One of my classmates is known for flipping a coin to make decisions, so that verse reminded me of him. I was quite surprised to find it in the Bible! Now that I'm picking up his method of decision making, I'm glad to know that there's a Biblical backing behind it. Lastly, the verses that I originally thought of when making this reply are Job 6:6-7:
"Don’t people complain about unsalted food? Does anyone want the tasteless white of an egg? My appetite disappears when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it!" [NLT]

I think in other versions, it says "mallow plant" instead of "egg." Anyway, that was my list of unexpected (mainly humorous) verses in the Bible; I do have more but I decided to stop here for now :lol:
.•♫•♬•Love is friendship set to music.•♫•♬•
#MAINEMMYS

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106377

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
emmykitty wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
-- sci_geeek
the Lord scoffs at them.

Another verse to add to that list would be Deuteronomy 28:63:
"Just as the Lord has found great pleasure in causing you to prosper and multiply, the Lord will find pleasure in destroying you. You will be torn from the land you are about to enter and occupy." [NLT]
Ok thanks, emmykitty!

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106378

• jodiaz
  • Quantum Entanglement
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
jodiaz wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

*facepalm*
Bruh.

Yeah, ik, just clarifying for future debates. B)
yeah. sure--stretch that out loong for me--

Bible verses you wouldn't expect 11 months 2 weeks ago #106402

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
emmykitty wrote:
One verse that I find kind of funny is Hosea 4:11b-12a:
"Wine has robbed my people of their understanding. They ask a piece of wood for advice! They think a stick can tell them the future!" [NLT]

It's not as funny in the other versions, though. Another verse that I found to be humorous is Jonah 4:7a:
"But God also arranged for a worm!" [NLT] \\ "But as the morning dawned the next day God prepared a worm..." [NKJV] \\ "But then God sent a worm." [MSG]

The NLT version caught my eye first, and the NKJV and MSG versions of it are also entertaining. Next up is 2 Kings 10:27:
"They smashed the sacred pillar and wrecked the temple of Baal, converting it into a public toilet." [NLT] \\ "They smashed the Baal altars and tore down the Baal temple. It’s been a public toilet ever since." [MSG]

I guess that tells you what they thought of Baal. The next one is Proverbs 18:18:
"Flipping a coin can end arguments; it settles disputes between powerful opponents." [NLT]

One of my classmates is known for flipping a coin to make decisions, so that verse reminded me of him. I was quite surprised to find it in the Bible! Now that I'm picking up his method of decision making, I'm glad to know that there's a Biblical backing behind it. Lastly, the verses that I originally thought of when making this reply are Job 6:6-7:
"Don’t people complain about unsalted food? Does anyone want the tasteless white of an egg? My appetite disappears when I look at it; I gag at the thought of eating it!" [NLT]

I think in other versions, it says "mallow plant" instead of "egg." Anyway, that was my list of unexpected (mainly humorous) verses in the Bible; I do have more but I decided to stop here for now :lol:
Note that these verses are very modern.
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds