Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Guide CyberChat is DEAD

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 2 years 5 months ago #97113

• SGirven
  • Human. Writer. Latino. Photographer. Keep Running.
  • Thank you received: 238
So, has anyone seen this?
We are looking forward to having a few Guide CyberClub Chat sessions coming up soon. On this page you will find clocks that countdown to the upcoming sessions.

Over the past several years, we have regularly had a chat session at 8pm on Friday evening and another at 4pm Sabbath afternoon. Local time in Dallas, Texas, that is. For the present, these will continue to be potential chat times and it will depend on participation how many of these chat sessions actually happen. Have a look at the Menu item about Understanding Our Countdown Clocks so you can see what it means when a countdown clock appears in a different color.

Identifying each chat session with a randomly selected fruit is just a way to help identify it on our Events Calendar. (The Events Calendar does not seem to be working presently, but we expect that will change soon. Meanwhile, it may be just a bit of eccentricity to have each chat with the name of a kind of fruit.)

The next two potential session are shown below. If we have sufficient participation, these sessions will happen.

You may notice that the chat has not been open at all for the last few weeks. The reason is that we have not had enough members indicating that they would like to participate. If you would like a chat session to happen, there are two things you can do. 1) Fill out the form to indicate your Intention to Participate and 2) Invite your friends to also fill out the form. If we have at least three people who have indicated that they want to participate and an adult moderator who is available to supervise the chat session, it will happen.

The chat session on Friday, January 24 we will call the "Pear" chat session. The current status, shown by the blue color, is potential.

Guide is dying, and whether we realize it or not, this place could at some point, along with CyberChat, become obsolete!

Discord: sgir.v#7196

IG: sgir.v

“We are not to deny the authority of the human senses and understanding, although weak, but rather furnish them with assistance.” -Sir Francis Bacon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 10 months ago #99394

• emmykitty
  • :)
  • Thank you received: 687
i hope that the newer members are able to post soon! it'll be a welcome revival for guide :)
.•♫•♬•Love is friendship set to music.•♫•♬•
#MAINEMMYS
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo, Readingandrainbows

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 10 months ago #99397

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 632
emmykitty wrote:
i hope that the newer members are able to post soon! it'll be a welcome revival for guide :)
Yeah same! I hope we figure out what’s wrong :(
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo, Readingandrainbows

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 10 months ago #99399

• FarmerCodak
  • I play softball, ride a unicycle, and love God!
  • Thank you received: 153
Personally i think the only way that the Guide website will gain back its popularity is turning it into an app. I know its expensive to do but that's what I think will bring more people back or bring more new members. Also it needs to be advertised more on the magazine, that's how I found out about the website like almost 10 years ago! XD
Remember to live like Jesus! Happy Sabbath!
"Take your candle, and go light your world!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: emmykitty, missionarykid, IlikeEatingPi, jGod8865, SGirven, drummerboi

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 10 months ago #99406

• SGirven
FarmerCodak wrote:
Personally i think the only way that the Guide website will gain back its popularity is turning it into an app. I know its expensive to do but that's what I think will bring more people back or bring more new members. Also it needs to be advertised more on the magazine, that's how I found out about the website like almost 10 years ago! XD

It's actually not terribly expensive. Some of us here on Guide have actually offered to help market it, especially those who have some marketing experience (like me). But they have always politely declined our offers. :unsure:

“We are not to deny the authority of the human senses and understanding, although weak, but rather furnish them with assistance.” -Sir Francis Bacon
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionarykid, lickington

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 2 months ago #101351

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Thank you received: 430
SGirven wrote:
We are looking forward to having a few Guide CyberClub Chat sessions coming up soon. On this page you will find clocks that countdown to the upcoming sessions.

Over the past several years, we have regularly had a chat session at 8pm on Friday evening and another at 4pm Sabbath afternoon. Local time in Dallas, Texas, that is. For the present, these will continue to be potential chat times and it will depend on participation how many of these chat sessions actually happen. Have a look at the Menu item about Understanding Our Countdown Clocks so you can see what it means when a countdown clock appears in a different color.

Identifying each chat session with a randomly selected fruit is just a way to help identify it on our Events Calendar. (The Events Calendar does not seem to be working presently, but we expect that will change soon. Meanwhile, it may be just a bit of eccentricity to have each chat with the name of a kind of fruit.)

The next two potential session are shown below. If we have sufficient participation, these sessions will happen.

You may notice that the chat has not been open at all for the last few weeks. The reason is that we have not had enough members indicating that they would like to participate. If you would like a chat session to happen, there are two things you can do. 1) Fill out the form to indicate your Intention to Participate and 2) Invite your friends to also fill out the form. If we have at least three people who have indicated that they want to participate and an adult moderator who is available to supervise the chat session, it will happen.

The chat session on Friday, January 24 we will call the "Pear" chat session. The current status, shown by the blue color, is potential.

Guide is dying, and whether we realize it or not, this place could at some point, along with CyberChat, become obsolete!
I've been on this website for almost 3 years now, and SGirven is right. We probably should do something to give Guide its full potential. I think our first step should be to find a way to bring back the chat, so that us and the new Guidesters can interact (and I have an idea on that). Next, we should find a way to make Guide more famous (and I have no idea on how to do that). All in all, Guide deserves a few more years of existence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sophiethedogluvver

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 2 months ago #101493

• SGirven
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

I've been on this website for almost 3 years now, and SGirven is right. We probably should do something to give Guide its full potential. I think our first step should be to find a way to bring back the chat, so that us and the new Guidesters can interact (and I have an idea on that). Next, we should find a way to make Guide more famous (and I have no idea on how to do that). All in all, Guide deserves a few more years of existence.
Let's slow down a little.

Before we can bring back the chat, or anything for that matter, there needs to be a clear growth of users to justify the expenses.

"Making it more famous" is good, but it will only grow if people use the service, which will only happen if it works right and if people can use it easily.

Neither of those things are easy tasks, considering what we have now.

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 2 months ago #101531

• Readingandrainbows
  • I love writing, piano, and pathfinders
  • Thank you received: 84
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

Before we can bring back the chat, or anything for that matter, there needs to be a clear growth of users to justify the expenses.

"Making it more famous" is good, but it will only grow if people use the service, which will only happen if it works right and if people can use it easily.

How can we get them to advertise in the magazine?

Yes, I do love reading! How did you know?

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 2 months ago #101584

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

Let's break it down some more.

Yeah, I agree. Although, there have been almost 30K users on the forum, most are either guys that just look and are not active users, or guys that have been on Guide for a long time and just left. So I'm guessing that out of the 26,000 users, only less than 1000 are committed users now. We have to figure out a way to bring back some of these users and encourage them to show that they're there and active.
And that's probably the problem! Guide hasn't really been updated much in its almost 20 years of its existence. That's why the old users have left, and the new users don't really want to mess with the forum, since it is full of users who have been here for a while that probably won't understand the newbies. Even though these things may not be easy, "considering what we have now", coming up with a solution and using it still is doable.

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 1 month ago #101718

• SGirven
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Although, there have been almost 30K users on the forum, most are either guys that just look and are not active users, or guys that have been on Guide for a long time and just left. So I'm guessing that out of the 26,000 users, only less than 1000 are committed users now. We have to figure out a way to bring back some of these users and encourage them to show that they're there and active.
And that's probably the problem! Guide hasn't really been updated much in its almost 20 years of its existence. That's why the old users have left, and the new users don't really want to mess with the forum, since it is full of users who have been here for a while that probably won't understand the newbies. Even though these things may not be easy, "considering what we have now", coming up with a solution and using it still is doable.
I'd guess less then 200 are committed users. Guide has gone through not one but two huge transformations in the many years of it's existence. The current site hasn't been hugely updated, but it has been maintained fairly well.

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 1 month ago #101776

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

I'd guess less then 200 are committed users. Guide has gone through not one but two huge transformations in the many years of it's existence. The current site hasn't been hugely updated, but it has been maintained fairly well.
Yeah, that very small number of committed users is one of the problems that Guide has had. That actually destroyed the chat.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 1 month ago #101806

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

Yeah, that very small number of committed users is one of the problems that Guide has had. That actually destroyed the chat.
I've checked out the User List, and I found that most users (they're not really users) have just signed up and left the same hour. They haven't posted anything, and haven't looked around. And those "guys with an account" make up over 60-70% of all users.
So I guess there's no point in trying to get more users that are just gonna sign up then leave, or in trying to bring back those "guys with an account." So it seems that we've gotta work with what we have, if we intend to restore Guide.

Guide CyberChat is DEAD 1 year 1 month ago #101813

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 632
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
SGirven wrote:

I've checked out the User List, and I found that most users (they're not really users) have just signed up and left the same hour. They haven't posted anything, and haven't looked around. And those "guys with an account" make up over 60-70% of all users.
So I guess there's no point in trying to get more users that are just gonna sign up then leave, or in trying to bring back those "guys with an account." So it seems that we've gotta work with what we have, if we intend to restore Guide.
Yeah. Too bad they are inactive…
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds